Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Public Health: Banning flavored cigarettes

Obama just passed a law which bans various flavored cigarettes, including cloves. Lemme tell ya, people arent too happy about it. The intention is clear, to make cigarettes less attractive to teens.

But that's where the real controversy comes in: Quite frankly, I dont know of one single teen, in my entire life, who has ever smoked a flavored cigarette (minus menthol, as that's more considered a "variant"). This is how this works: teens pick up "adult" habits by imitating adults. Most adults I know have no taste in anything Fine at all, so they'll smoke their crappy Marlboro Lights, or the ghetto kids will (purely out of obligation because it's the ghetto thing to do) smoke Newports. So guess what the top kinds among teens are? You guessed it! Whatever the young adults around them are smoking also.

Now me, I smoke pipe tobacco, cigarettes are too cheap and "smoky" for me, not enough fine quality. I enjoy rum-flavored cavendish pipe tobacco, it's the nicest thing I've ever inhaled. Lemme tell ya, if this ban affects my smoke, as a result of some stupid perceived "wrong" which honestly isnt even going on, then I will be pissed. In fact, I'll prob'ly hand out cigarettes to kids myself, just to act as a huge middle finger to those who believe that crap.

This topic brings up two other topics: Smoker discrimination, and Democrats' "parent" laws.

We've got enough discrimination issues in this country as it is, black segregation, women's vote, gay marriage, racism, reversed racism, christian domination, and all that crap... the last thing we need is discrimination against smokers, especially from the very end of the political spectrum who claims to be against discrimination! I dont EVEN wanna hear an "equal rights" person telling me that I'm a "polluter" or whatever term they use, and try to segregate me in public places. Get the fuck outta here. FYI, I've been cutting back for my health, as it makes no sense for me to be on this work-out and dietary health kick that I've been on, if I dont have strong enough lungs to be able to run for 5 minutes. So I'm doing that on my own thank you. 

Which brings me to my next point: "Parent" laws. I dont need laws which forbid me, or anyone else, from doing self-destructive things because it's "for my own good." Yes, it is indeed foolish to smoke, drink, watch violent tv, all that dumb shit, but hey, if I want to, guess whose choice it is? Think about your "pro-choice" analogy here...

No comments:

Post a Comment